90 Degree Heat for the First Time This Year!By
Since I’m new to the Channel 13 team, I have to warn you about my sometimes cheesy sense of humor. I couldn’t resist snapping a pic of the “Weinermobile” in Indy when I was running errands before work on Memorial Day. It’s appropriate that on the unofficial start to summer, when hot dogs are a hot topic, Mother Nature went along for the ride. For a change, we had sunshine from start to finish and that sent temperatures soaring. We hit 90 degrees for the first time this year and the first time since September 23rd, when Indy hit 94 degrees.
Here are some steamy stats for you, courtesy of the National Weather Service in Indianapolis:
- *We missed a record by just 4 degrees! The record high for May 30th is 94 set in 1895
- *May averages only 0.4 days at 90 or hotter (that’s just under once every 2 years)
- *Annually, Indy averages 17.5 90+ days
- *The average high for May 30th is 78 degrees
- *96 is the record for tomorrow and also the hottest temperature recorded in Indy in May. That happened twice: May 31st 1895 & May 28th, 1911
And we’re not done yet! Tomorrow, we could reach low 90s with heat index values into the middle 90s!
Stay cool and thanks for checking the SkyTrak Weather Blog!
-Meteorologist Chikage Windler